Utilities Worker Job Opening
The City of Atchison has an opening for a team-oriented individual that will be working in the collection and distribution system. As a member of the collection and distribution team, you will be assisting with installation, construction, maintenance and repair to the water and wastewater system.
- Takes pride in providing water and wastewater services to the City of Atchison residents.
- Works collaboratively with other team members and is open to new ideas.
- Is service oriented, responsive and seeks continuous improvement.
- Is energetic, motivated, organized and works quickly to get the job done.
- Has a strong work ethic and can work independently with little instruction.
- Is a steward of the environment and committed to high standards and safe work practices.
- Is proactive and takes initiative to deliver quality product and service
The ideal candidate will have experience in construction, maintenance, and labor at a public utility. Any type of general construction related experience is a big plus.
Above all, the Utility Department prizes team members with positive attitudes; we are more than happy to train the right candidate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Heavy manual labor
- On-call rotation
- Operation of power and hand tools
- Operation of city vehicles
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to obtain a CDL within six months
- Job related physical and substance abuse screen upon offer of employment.
- Experience in the operation of backhoe and heavy trucks preferred.
- $12.33+ DOQ
- Full-time position
- VACATION LEAVE – Paid vacation leave after six months of employment ranging from 10 to 20 days per year based on years of service.
- SICK LEAVE – Employees accrue 8 hours of sick leave per month.
- KPERS/KP&F RETIREMENT PLANS –The City provides Kansas Public Employer’s Retirement System (KPERS) and Kansas Police and Fire (KP&F) Retirement Programs.
- HEATH CARE – The City is currently a member of the Aetna insurance plan and currently subsidizes a portion of the health care premiums. Health care includes dental coverage and vision coverage is available. All full-time employees are eligible to participate.
- SECTION 125 – Allows employee to pay certain medical premiums with pre-tax dollars, thus increasing the employee’s disposable income.
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM – Professional counseling service with a maximum of three free visits for the employee and each member of their immediate family.
- ICMA, METROPOLITAN & EQUI-VEST – City employees may participate in deferred compensation plans offered by the City. The amount selected is invested for the employee and is not subject to federal or state income tax until withdrawn.
- CREDIT UNION – All full-time employees are eligible to participate in the Credit Union #1 of Kansas through payroll deduction.
- LEAVES – Holidays – All full-time employees are eligible to earn eleven (11) holidays per year which includes one (1) floating holiday for the employee’s birthday. Sick Leave – full-time forty (40) hour employees accrue 3.7 hours bi-weekly (12 days per year); fifty-six (56) hour employees accrue 5.17 hours bi-weekly. Vacation Leave – full-time forty (40) hour employees earn ten (10) days per year; fifty-six (56) hr. employees earn 112 hrs. per year. After five (5) years of service this amount increases.
- SAFETY PROGRAM – All full-time employees participate in the City’s safety program.
How to Apply
Apply on-line at hrepartners.com.
The City of Atchison is an equal opportunity employer.