To request a City record, complete the request form below or contact the City Clerk by email or by calling 913-367-5506.
You may be asked to submit your request for information in writing.
- Less than 10 pages -Free
- More than 10 pages – $0.25/page
- More than 30 minutes processing time – $14/hour
View some frequently asked questions here.
Please keep in mind that reasonable fees, not exceeding actual cost, may be charged for access to records, copies of records, and staff time for processing your request. You may be required to show proof of identity, if requested, in order to pick up these requested records.
Copies are $0.25 per page if the request exceeds 10 pages. Staff time will be billed at $14 per hour for requests requiring more than 30 minutes of staff time. Fees for all record requests will be collected in the Finance Office. There is no inspection fee for records readily available to the records custodian. however, requests requiring more than 30 minutes of staff time for research will cost $14 per hour. The media is exempt from all fees.
Most records maintained by public entities are open for inspection and/or copying by individuals. Commonly requested records include ordinances, resolutions, minutes from open meetings, salaries of public officials and budgets.
The Kansas Open Records Act recognizes that some records contain information which is private in nature. For this reason, the Act lists a number of exceptions. Records which are closed for this reason may include:
- Personnel information of public employees
- Medical treatment records
- Records which are protected by the attorney-client privilege or the rules of evidence
- Records containing personal information required for Census purposes
- Notes and preliminary drafts
- Criminal investigation records
- Military discharge papers
- Records related to security measures
- Several other specific records
Although every attempt will be made to provide the information requested, it is not always possible to fulfill the request. There are a number of reasons that a request may be denied:
- The specific record that was requested does not exist
- The request was unclear and should be resubmitted with more detail
- The record that was requested is closed to protect an important privacy interest
(see list of exceptions above)
Contact the Freedom of Information Officer. For a complete copy of the Kansas Open Records Act, contact the Freedom of Information Officer or go to www.kslegislature.org. The Kansas Open Records Act starts at K.S.A. 45-215.