What is the City’s Snow Removal Policy

The goal of the Streets division of Public Works is to have the streets plowed or treated as soon as possible after the end of a storm, or within 24 hours after a major storm.

During the winter months, Public Works management constantly monitors weather forecasts to identify storms that could threaten driving conditions. When staff identifies a probable threat, city crews swing into action, pre-treating target bridges and streets.

As the storm hits, crews focus on keeping intersections open and safe. As the storm lets up, crews expand their routesaccording to our policy: emergency routes first, then primary and secondary routes. Snow routes are our first priority. View the snow routes map.

As time and personnel permits, we will also be working on public parking lots,public alleyways, public sidewalks, and residential streets. Sorry, crews do not remove snow from private property.

If you have a disability or special condition that requires clearance on your residential street, call our Public Works HelpLine at 913-367-5561.If warranted, we’ll add you to our priority list following snow routes. Please do not call more than once in a 24-hour period — we’re working on it and we’ll get to you as soon as we can. Promise.

How you can help:

  • Clear the sidewalk adjacent to your property. Any sidewalk located on a private property easement is the responsibility of the property owner(s) to maintain and allow public access, particularly during winter weather.
  • Clear your alleyway, especially if it’s your garage access. Like sidewalks, alleyways are public thoroughfares but the responsibility for upkeep falls on the private property owner. You may consider partnering withyour neighbors to employ a plowing service to clear your alleyways during wintertime.
  • If you don’t need to travel during winter storms, don’t. Stay put.
  • If you are out on the roads during or after a winter storm, don’t follow too closely behind the snow plows and emergency vehicles. This can be very dangerous for both you and the driver.
  • If you live on an emergency, primary, or secondary snow route, move your on-street vehicle onto your property or onto a side street as soon as the storm starts. This allows city crews to quickly and cleanly plow the entire street, giving you quicker access to good parking again and eliminating the need to dig out your car or worry about damage to your vehicle.

Questions? Contact our Public Works HelpLine at 913-367-5561.

What’s the telephone number for the DMV?

Contact Atchison County at 913-367-3936.

What’s the telephone number for the landfill?

Contact the Atchison County Solid Waste Transfer Station at 913-367-1666.

What’s the telephone number for district court?

Contact Atchison County District Court at 913-804-6060.

Who do I call for a special trash pick-up?

Contact the Public Works Shop at 913-367-5561.

Who do I call to file a nuisance complaint?

If the “nuisance” is an issue with someone not keeping up their property (like high weeds, abandoned house, junk cars, etc.) contact the Community Development Office at 913-367-5560 or curtisw@cityofatchison.com.

If the nuisance is of a criminal nature (like a loud party, a threatening individual, etc.) call the Police non-emergency line at 913-367-4323.

How do I get a building permit?

Contact our Community Development Office at 913-367-5560.

Who do I contact about the flea markets?

Various individuals hold flea markets, neighborhood and community garage sales, etc. during the year. The City does not organize, coordinate, or otherwise sponsor any of them. Check out www.visitatchison.com for new events or contact the Chamber at 913-367-2427 if you’re interested in organizing one.

Who do I contact about the St. Patrick’s day Parade?

The St. Patrick’s Day Parade is a privately-planned event that doesn’t involve the City of Atchison directly. Responsibility for organizing the St. Patrick’s Day Parade rotates each year to the winning family float from the previous year. Watch for news articles posted during February to announce information about this year’s event.

Who do I contact about the High School Homecoming?

Contact USD 409 at 913-367-4384 or Maur Hill-Mount Academy at 913-367-5482.

Where do I buy tickets for LakeFest or find out more information about it?

Contact the Chamber at 913-367-2427 or http://visitatchison.com/event/lakefest.

Where do I buy tickets and get more information about a Haunted Trolley Tour?

Contact the Chamber at 913-367-2427 or www.visitatchison.com.

Can I rent the Armory?

No, not from the City. The Armory is now a privately owned property. If you’re looking for a venue, call the Atchison Event Center at 913-367-1162.

Even if I’m behind on my city utility payments, doesn’t the City have to keep my water on if it’s below freezing outside?

No. Utilities are provided to customers who pay on-time and in-full for the services they use. There is no cold weather provision for water.

If the City shuts off my water and the pipes burst, isn’t the City liable?

No. It is a customer’s decision to establish water service and the customer’s responsibility to pay for the service. If payment is not rendered for services used, the City is not responsible for maintaining service or what happens after service is disconnected to private property.

Is there a charge for refuse special pick-up?

No. Special pick-ups are provided as a courtesy to our customers, but scheduling may be limited at times. Call the City Shop at 913-367-5561 to schedule your pick-up.

Can I opt out of refuse service?

No. Residential refuse collection is mandatory; it is not optional. Refuse collection is provided to City of Atchison residential utility customers at no additional charge. Contact the Utility Office at 913-367-5500 for information on fees for additional refuse carts.

How do I file an insurance claim against the City?

Contact our claims intake specialist Staff Accountant Cari Strieby at 913-367-5500 to complete an information form. NOTICE: All insurance claims against the City are a matter of public record and may be disclosed at the City Commission meeting following filing.

How do I know what day my trash gets picked-up?

Call us at 913-367-5561 with your address. We’re happy to help! Check out the Solid Waste and Recycling page to view the latest Solid Waste/Recycling calendar .

Why does the City license construction trades people?

The City licenses electricians, gasfitters, and plumbers to ensure that they are licensed and credentialed to do these highly skilled jobs and are capable of completing the job they’ve committed to do for you. It’s not an endorsement of their work, merely that they have met all the requirements of a legitimate business. Before you sign, contact our Community Development office at 913-367-5560 to see if your potential contractor is qualified.

I drive a pickup truck. Do I have to wear a seatbelt? If I’m an adult and riding in the back seat of a car, do I have to wear my seatbelt?

Yes to both. Kansas State law requires all occupants in a vehicle to wear a seatbelt while driving or riding.

Does Atchison offer a Citizens Police Academy?

We do not currently have a Citizens Police Academy, but hope to one day. We encourage any interested in taking on a bigger leadership in their community to contact the Chamber of Commerce for more information about their Community Leadership Academy at 913-367-2427.

Does the City have any restrictions on the kinds of animals that can live in city limits?

Yes, ownership of the following animals is prohibited within city limits:

  • Swine
  • Cattle
  • Mules
  • Horses
  • Goats
  • Sheep
  • Poultry (except chickens, which are allowed on a limited basis with an approved city permit)
  • Bees
  • Or any other animal commonly regarded as farm or ranch animals or that are used or raised to produce commodities such as food, fiber, or labor for subsistence or profit

An exception is made for property that is on tracts of two acres of more which are zoned for agricultural purposes. Except at an organized sale or registered auction facility for the purposes of sale.

An exception is also made for livestock that is under the care of a licensed veterinarian at the veterinarian’s clinic or animal hospital.

What’s a mill?

A “mill” is a standard of measurement used for taxation. One mill is equal to one-tenth of a cent (0.001), or $1.00 per $1,000 of assessed valuation.

What time does Municipal Court begin on Wednesdays?

Municipal Court begins at 7:30 a.m. Make whatever arrangements or plans you need to make to get yourself to court by 7:30 a.m. when roll is called.

What should I do if I missed my court appearance?

Immediately call the Municipal Court Clerk at 913-367-5515 to discuss it. A warrant has probably been issued for your arrest. The Court Clerk will not waive your warrant, but it is far more favorable for you to make contact and acknowledge that you missed court than for you to ignore it. Then come to court the following Wednesday and be prepared to explain yourself to the judge.

Why wasn’t a county road plowed?

The City maintains city streets, i.e. those within our jurisdiction. The road you were driving on is a county road. If you’ve got a complaint about roads outside of the city, your best bet is to direct it to the organization responsible – Atchison County or KDOT. If you’ve got feedback on how we’re doing with city streets, please let us know!

Why are property taxes so high?

Atchison’s city property tax rate is middle of the pack for its peer cities in Kansas. Taxes aren’t so low that they jeopardize public services, but they aren’t so high that they unfairly burden the taxpayer. If you are comparing tax rates city-to-city, make sure you’re looking at taxes per capita to get the true apples-to-apples comparison. The tax rate alone is only relative to the valuation of the property and the spread of taxpayers.  For example, Overland Park has a very low tax rate, but a taxpayer in Overland Park pays more in city taxes than an Atchison taxpayer because the value of the property is higher overall.  Also, be clear on what you’re comparing – are you comparing the city-only tax burden or the total tax burden from all the local taxing entities in that community?

City leadership is constantly analyzing and evaluating whether city services meet the community’s needs, and whether all revenue streams are balanced and adequate to support the levels of services that citizens expect.  If you have an opinion about it, please share it with us.  We appreciate feedback from the citizens we are here to serve.

Where can I get a hunting or fishing permit?

The Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, & Tourism handles licenses and permits for hunting and fishing. The City has no involvement. To learn more, visit the KDWPT website at www.kdwpt.state.ks.us.

Where do I register to vote?

You can register to vote at the Atchison County Courthouse, located at 423 N. 5th St. in Atchison.

Where can I renew my driver’s license?

The driver’s license office has moved to the Atchison Event Center.

At this time they are BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please visit https://www.ksrevenue.org/DOVAppointmentInfo to schedule an appointment.

Atchison Event Center
710 S 9th Street, Atchison, KS 66002

(913) 367-3936 Atchison

Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:45pm
Testing 8:00-3:00

For addtional information please go to www.ksrevenue.org

Can I get a copy of a police report?

Citizens often request copies of police reports because they feel it necessary to provide this information to insurance companies regarding traffic accidents or thefts.

Actually, insurance companies make daily requests from the Police Department for these reports so citizens need only notify their insurance company of their incident.

However, copies of accident reports or page one of the Kansas Standard Offense Report are available to citizens.  These reports are only released in person at Police Headquarters, 8am to 5pm daily.

What types of police reports can I get?

Copies of accident reports or page one of the Kansas Standard Offense Report are available to citizens.  These reports are only released in person at Police Headquarters, 8am to 5pm daily.

Where do I go to pay my fine?

If all charges on your traffic ticket have a specific fine amount, you may choose to pay your fines and fees prior to the court date. You can pay your ticket over the phone  with a debit or credit card or in person at City Hall: 515 Kansas Ave, Atchison, KS 66002

When is my court date?

Check the citation or call the Municipal Court Clerk at (913) 367-5515.  Court is held every Wednesday at 7:30 a.m.

How do I get a refund on my cash bail?

Once authorized by a Judge, refunds are returned by check via the mail.

What should I do if I have a warrant?

Appear in court as soon as possible to see a Judge. You can also go to the Atchison Police Department at any time to post your bond. You will be given a court date to appear before the judge.

How do I find the status of my driver’s license or get a copy of my driving record?

Contact the state in which you are licensed.  If you have a KS DL Call the Kansas Division of Motor Vehicles at (785) 296-3671. Information is also available at www.ksrevenue.org  or you can search KS Vehicles Connect in your app store to download.

How do I take care of a no proof of insurance ticket?

If you had insurance coverage on the vehicle you were driving at the time the ticket was issued, submit proof of coverage to the court clerk via email at christym@cityofatchison.com, fax at 913-367-3654, or in person.

What can I recycle?

Click here to find out what is acceptable in the recycling stream.

What is the glass recycling program?

A series of glass only recycling drop-off bins are available for use by the Atchison community at the following locations:

  • The Farmer’s Market (4th & Main)
  • The First Baptist Church (17th and W. Riley)
  • The Wal-Mart parking lot (south of the building)
  • St. Benedict’s Catholic School gravel parking lot (3rd & Division)

Ripple Glass, the Kansas City-based glass recycler, furnished the paint and decals to properly label and brand the bins as “glass only”. Student volunteers from Benedictine College’s Green Club painted the dumpsters “Ripple Glass Purple”.

Visit RippleGlass FAQs for more information.

What do I do about yard waste or bulky items?

We provide complimentary special pick-up every week by appointment. Schedule a special collection here!

We provide complimentary special pick-up every week by appointment:

  • Special yard waste collections are scheduled for Tuesdays and need to be placed in biodegradable (paper) bags or hard sided containers. To get on the list for Tuesday yard waste collection, please call the City Shop (367-5561) by 3:30 on Monday afternoon.
  • Bulky household items and white goods (appliances) are scheduled for Thursdays. To get on the list for Thursday bulky goods collection, please call the City Shop (367-5561) by 3:30 on Wednesday afternoon.

All items must be placed at the curb on the front of the property by 7:00 am on the scheduled day.

Do you offer specialty trash/recycling services for elderly and/or disabled customers?

We’re happy to provide a premium level of service for our disabled and/or elderly residents. If you have a medical condition that prevents you from getting the cart to and from the curb on trash day, call our Public Works Help Line at 913-367-5561.

How do I search files?

1. Click the document type link (in blue) which will open the folder in Google Drive.
2. Hold down the CTRL key and press “F” to pull up a search box. This usually appears in the upper right corner of the screen.

How do I apply for a Diversion?
To apply for a Diversion, you must fill out this application.