The City of Atchison provides water, wastewater, and CSO services. All three are conveniently billed on one monthly City of Atchison utility bill.
Our customer service staff is located at City Hall, 515 Kansas Avenue, and is ready to answer questions about your bill and handle requests for service turn-on, disconnections, or transfer.
We accept payments:
- In person at our payment window at City Hall, 515 Kansas Avenue.
- We accept VISA, MasterCard, personal check, cashier’s check, or cash. We do not accept counter checks.
- At our 24 Hour drive-thru drop box located in the alley behind the post office marked: CITY OF ATCHISON.
- On our website with a credit card payment. Click here for a simple, secure way to view and pay your bill.
- Through the good old-fashioned postal mail, by carrier pigeon, or singing telegram.
Fees & Late Penalties
We require a $25.00 connection fee to establish service. This is not a deposit and it is not refundable. If you apply for service online or by phone, the connection fee will appear on your first utility bill.
The City enforces a timely payment policy. The balance shown on your utility bill statement is due on the date given on the bill, meaning that it must be in our office before the end of business (5:00 p.m. CST) that day.
As a customer, it is your responsibility alone to ensure that the payment arrives by the due date.
PLEASE NOTE: Postal mail is a generally reliable system but not perfect. We do not give credit for postmarked mail not received in our office by the due date.*
*College students: If you’re leaving town for holiday break, the summer, graduation, etc. DO NOT FORGET to make arrangements to get your utility bill paid. Late fees and disconnects won’t be postponed or waived.
If payment is late, we assess a late fee of$7.00 or 10% of the bill, whichever is greater, and a bright red disconnect notice is generated immediately.
Customers have seven business days from the due date to settle their account in full, otherwise service will be disconnected and a $75.00 non-payment penalty will be assessed to the account. The account must be paid in full before service can be restored.
We assess a $25.00 charge on returned checks for insufficient funds. If service is disconnected, you are required to pay an additional $25.00 before the service will be restored. Sorry, we won’t accept payment by check on the account for a year.
Your payment is processed on the day we receive it, not the day it’s postmarked or the day you paid it online through your bank. Late fees and non-payment penalties will apply and will not be waived, no exceptions.
- Make checks, money orders, and cashier’s checks payable to: City of Atchison, Kansas.
- Personal checks MUST show your name, address, date of birth, and driver license number.
- For good measure, include your utility account number(s) on the memo line of checks.
- Never send cash through the mail. EVER. We are not responsible for mailed cash payments.