CITY OF ATCHISON WEBSITE AND SOCIAL MEDIA POLICY
City: The City of Atchison, Kansas
Home Page: Any document on the World Wide Web that is a starting point for finding other information, typically the entry page of a Web site.
Internet: Computers on networks that are linked to each other throughout the world.
Link (Hyperlink): A part of a Web page (text or graphic) that causes a new Web page to be displayed when it is selected, usually by clicking on it. Expressed as a “link to” or “link from” a Web site or page.
World Wide Web (the Web, www, or W3): A full-color, multimedia database of information on the Internet that is comprised of electronic pages (Web pages) that are connected together.
Website: A collection of electronic pages of information on a Web server that is displayed via the Internet.
Web Server: The hardware and software that is required to make Web pages available (for delivery to others) on networks.
Web Administration: Staff members responsible for information updates and technical operation of a website.
2. PURPOSE OF CITY’S WEBSITE
It is the City of Atchison’s intent to maintain and update its Website, www.cityofathchison.com, to provide electronic access to general and specific information and to interact with residents, business owners/operators, visitors, and others concerning municipal operations and services, policies, projects, and safety. The Website is intended to provide electronic access to municipal services and information that furthers the goal of exemplary customer service that is both responsive and innovative.
In establishing and maintaining its official Website, the city does not intend in any manner to create a forum or other means by which public discourse, exchange of opinions, or discussion on issues of any nature may occur within the Website. The sole and limited purpose of the city’s Website is to provide factual information about the City of Atchison including various services and resources available within and around the city, or as may be available from other governmental agencies.
The city’s Website is to be used to facilitate dialogue, online transactions and provide essential information requested by residents, visitors, and businesses.
It is the city’s policy to encourage all city departments to use the Website as an effective means to highlight services and to communicate with citizens and target groups, including community leaders and organizations, local and potential businesses, local and potential residents, visitors and city employees, and to educate the community about how government works.
The city’s Website may provide links to other electronic sites that serve and promote these interests site solely in conformance with this policy. Editorial judgment will be exercised in determining which links are relevant, fulfill the purpose of the city’s Website and conform to this policy.
This Website complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
The Website is the exclusive property of the City of Atchison, Kansas.
3. EXTERNAL WEB LINKS
Links from the city’s Website
Consistent with the foregoing policy, it is the city’s policy to limit external links to the following kinds of entities and organizations. The following criteria will be used to decide whether to grant requests for city Website links.
The city’s Website may provide links to:
- Governmental and educational institutions.
- Organizations with some relationship to the city (including but not limited to: organizations contracting with the city, organizations sponsoring city activities or programs, organizations in a city-owned or managed facility and organizations participating in city activities or programs).
- Organizations providing information about employment opportunities in the city’s area.
- Area utility companies that provide service to residents and businesses.
- Non-profit or public agencies that have a business relationship with the city including but not limited to professional and trade organizations that can further the dissemination of information relative to programs, activities or projects sponsored by the City of Atchison.
- Organizations, websites, or agencies that serve as a resource for city staff members in the performance of their official duties.
- Tourist information, arts, cultural and similar organizations or events of general interest to Atchison residents, business owners/operators, visitors and others, principally from the Atchison Convention and Visitors Bureau, www.atchisonkansas.net.
- Business information from the Atchison County Economic Development organization websitewww.growatchison.com that provides specific information about the community and its demographics to prospective corporations evaluating Atchison as a business site.
- Third-party contractual services purchased by the city.
- Organizations participating in co-sponsorship with the city.
- Other sites which are appropriate to the mission of the City of Atchison.
The creation of a link from the city’s Website to other sites does not constitute an endorsement of products or services of these sites by the City of Atchison. The city is not liable for the defamatory, offensive, or illegal conduct of other users, links, or third parties.
Commercial sites offering information relating to tourism, education, governmental services, or other community information may be provided a link at the city’s discretion. Any links to sites of this nature will, if possible, be made directly to the information or feature that is deemed to be in the public interest – not to the main page of the commercial site. No commercial titles, icons, or banners will be provided to any commercial site in exchange for links.
The city’s Web site will not provide links to Web sites for:
- Personal campaign sites of political candidates running for local, state, or federal appointed or elected offices.
- Campaign sites for political organizations or other organizations or individuals advocating a position on a local, state, or federal issue.
- Sites that are associated with, sponsored by or serving a candidate for elected office, any political party or organization supporting or seeking to defeat any candidate for elective office or ballot proposal.
- Corporate or other for-profit organizations unless they fit any of the criteria stated previously.
- Links that involve or encourage illegal activities or are in violation of any of the city’s adopted policies including, without limitation, policies on discrimination, sexual or other harassment or Internet usage.
- Links that involve adult business, adult entertainment, nudity, or sexual activities.
- Individual or personal home pages or websites.
The City of Atchison reserves the right to:
Deny an external link application as to any person, business or organization when it is determined, following review of a complete application, that the entity or organization for which application is made does not meet the criteria set forth in this policy.
Deny an external link as to any person, business, or organization, which fails to provide all required information or truthful information. Any denial by Web Administration staff members may be appealed to the City Manager’s Office, who shall hear and decide the matter within a reasonable amount of time of any such written appeal.
The city reserves the right to modify or delete any link from its site at its discretion without notice or recourse. Links may be removed if:
- The city determines that the link violates this policy.
- The link no longer points to the original information or resource that was intended.
- The information is inaccurate or not trustworthy.
- Access to the information has become difficult due to odd formatting, framing, lengthy download times, etc.
- The city determines that additional links that are more relevant to the mission of the Web site should be added and the number of working links needs to be reduced to allow for those additions.
Links from external operations to the city’s site
The City of Atchison encourages links from other websites, especially if it benefits the city’s operations and customers including residents, visitors, business owners/operators, and others. However, such links should not create any electronic framing of the city’s Website, or be displayed in such a manner as to imply that the city endorses or supports any product or service.
The linking site may not link to individual graphics or tables within the city’s Website, especially in an effort to place the downloading burden on the city’s servers or visitors to the site. Any link shall pass the client browser to the city’s site unencumbered or in a new window.
The city reserves the right to limit the number of links and to include only carefully selected links since an excessive list of links may confuse visitors to the city’s site.
Anyone, including a city employee, can suggest an external link for placement on the city’s Website. The suggestion must be submitted to the City Manager’s office on a form that provides:
- The name of the organization.
- An explanation of that group’s primary purpose and mission.
- How the page supports the purpose of the city’s Website services and intended visitors.
Personnel in the City Manager’s office in consultation with the City Attorney will make final determination regarding placement of a link. Selection criteria will include, without being limited to:
- A determination of how well the proposed link fits within the city’s mission and Web design.
- The stability and trustworthiness of the site.
- The frequency of requests for adding such a link.
To avoid any perception that the city endorses or provides favorable treatment to any private person or business enterprise, no corporate or commercial logos or direct links to vendor sites are allowed except as specifically noted herein. The city is not responsible for and does not endorse the information on any linked Website unless the city’s Web site states otherwise.
4. EMAIL ADDRESSES
Email addresses posted on Website
Email addresses should be listed on the Website only for services or functions that are likely to generate a significant amount of direct inquiries from the public. The site is focused on information that is most useful to the public and should not include email addresses that are not relevant to the public.
We value your feedback. If you send the city email with questions or comments about our programs or services, we do collect your email address and any other information that you volunteer. We do this to follow up on an issue, improve the content of our Website, and occasionally, to customize its content for users. We occasionally will forward an email to other appropriate community or nonprofit organizations to assist with obtaining information for the sender or to share feedback.
- DOMAIN NAMES
One domain name will be used for referring to and marketing of the Website.
- PUBLISHING PROCESS
City staff members of all departments may assist in the development of Web pages for the city’s site. These pages can be created and sent to the City Manager or his or her designee for editing and publication.
The city’s Website uses a secure server for conducting online transactions. All credit card and other payment information that is transmitted to the city will be protected by 128-bit encryption technology, provided the browser is properly configured and the computer is operating properly. Security technology requires that a user have a reasonably current browser that is capable of supporting 128-bit encryption for online transactions. Current browsers such as these will activate the appropriate security features when a user enters an online transaction through this site.In general, a user can determine whether he or she is on a secure site by looking at the symbol at the bottom of the browser screen. A user can be sure that a secure server is being used if the key is unbroken or the lock is locked.The city limits employee access to personally identifiable information to only those employees who need access to perform a specific job. All employees are kept up-to-date on our security and privacy practices.
- USE OF CITY’S LOGO
The City Manager of the City of Atchison must give written permission for the use, reproduction, or allocation of the city’s registered logo as prescribed by Governing Body Resolution 2724.
- ACCESS TO OPEN RECORDS
Information, including the complete Kansas Open Records Act and a summary and explanation of the Act produced by the Kansas Attorney General, can be obtained at: http://www.ksag.org.Questions regarding the Kansas Open Records Act should be directed to the city’s Freedom of Information Officer at 913-367-5506.
The materials presented on the Website are intended primarily for the residents of the City of Atchison, Kansas, and for those outside the city limits who are interested in learning more about the city. Any person who views and uses the information presented on this Website agrees to be subject to Kansas jurisdiction. Any dispute arising there from shall be decided under the laws and in the courts of Atchison County, Kansas.
- SOCIAL MEDIA
To provide local citizens with information about government programs and services.To provide a platform for local citizens to share viewpoints and engage in a dialogue with one another.
The City of Atchison encourages the use of social media technologies to enhance communication, collaboration, and information exchange in support of City’s mission. By openly sharing knowledge, best practices, and lessons learned within the organization, with and from other partners, and with and from the public, we can provide more effective solutions and efficiencies to enhance excellence in the business of government. As the technology evolves, this order and its accompanying policy will evolve, but in general terms, this policy defines guiding principles for use of these technologies by City of Atchison employees. The use of social media technology follows the same standards of professional practice and conduct utilized by the City of Atchison.
Criteria for Posting Information on City of Atchison Page:
The City Manager will be responsible for designating staff members who are able to post on behalf of the City of Atchison. Information posted by the City of Atchison must be approved by the City Manager or his or her designee before posting.Elected officials will not be allowed to post on behalf of the City of Atchison, but are encouraged to contribute to the page from their own profile. Elected officials and candidates are strongly discouraged from posting information concerning campaigns and political messages.Fans of the City of Atchison are encouraged to post information about issues affecting the city’s residents. We encourage discussion and varying viewpoints. However, the City of Atchison Page will not feature:
- Nudity/pornography, adult and/or hate language, tobacco, alcohol, or similar information
- Establishments where the distribution of sale of alcoholic beverages is a primary business function.
- Activities restricted to adults.
- Tobacco Products.
- Firearms or other weapons.
- Hostility or violence.
- Attacks on ethnic, racial, or religious groups.
- Illegal discrimination against any group.
- Illegal or inappropriate use of firearms or drugs, or any other illegal activity.
- Sexual, obscene, indecent, or explicit messages.
- Sexual overtone or innuendo.
- Products or services with sexual overtones such as massage parlors, escort services, or establishments featuring for show or sale X-rated or pornographic movies, materials, or performances.
- False, misleading, or deceptive sponsorships/advertisements.
- Language or information that is obscene, foul, vulgar, scurrilous or scatological.
- Information harmful to children or is of a nature to frighten children, either emotionally or physically.
- Cruelty to animals.
- Online casino gaming, gambling, or betting.
- Information affiliated with or promoting political campaigns.
- Solicitations for donations, except for official City-sponsored activities.
- Endorsements of specific brand name products or services for advertising or marketing purposes.