Bids & RFPs
- Request for Qualifications – Farmers Market Pavilion – closes February 12, 2018, 2:00 PM
- Invitation to Consultants – Bi-Annual Bridge Inspection Services – closes February 1, 2018, 4:00 PM
- Invitation to Bid – 2018 Rearloader Refuse Truck – closes January 16, 2018, 2:00 PM
- Ridge Road Water Main Replacement Project – closed December 12, 2017 – awarded to Engemann Drainage Co., Inc. 12/18/17
- Grave Digging Services at Oak Hill Cemetery – closed December 12, 2017 – awarded to Pruett Construction 12/18/17
- Request for Proposal for Engineering Firms – closed August 15, 2017 – awarded to BG Consultants 10/23/17
- Request For Qualifications – LFM Park Basketball Court – closed August 22, 2017, 2:00 PM – awarded to Multicon 10/2/17
- City Street Improvements Project 2017 – closed July 6, 2017, 10:00 AM – awarded to Bettis Asphalt 7/17/17
- City Concrete Street Improvements 2017 – closed June 6, 2017, 10:00 AM – awarded to Bottorff Construction 6/19/17
- Atchison Event Center Concrete 2017 RFP – closed June 7, 2017, 10:00 AM – awarded to BKM Construction
- Atchison Public Library – Request For Qualifications, Roof Replacement and Repair of Interior Damage – closed May 10, 2017 – awarded to Michael S. Hundley Construction
- 2017 Curb & Sidewalk Cost Share Program Request For Proposals – closed 2:00 p.m., April 11, 2017 – awarded to Bottorff Construction 5/01/17
- Zero Turn Radius Mowers Request For Bids – closed 2:00 PM, February 14, 2017 – awarded to Kansas Golf and Turf 2/21/17
- Design-Build RFQ for Biofiltration System Rehabilitation for the Wastewater Treatment Plant – closed 2:00 PM, February 14, 2017 – awarded to CAS Water Partners Joint Venture 6/19/17
- 2017 Nuisance Abatement Contract Services – closes 10:00 AM, November 23, 2016 – awarded to Fred Hysten 12/19/16
- 2017 Contract Plumbing, HVAC, & Amelia Earhart Festival Electrical Services – closes 2:00 PM, November 15, 2016 – awarded to Tate Plumbing and Hays Heating & Cooling 11/21/16
Public organizations like the city have an obligation to be financially accountable and offer reasonable opportunity for competitive bidding on major purchases and contracts for services. Staying true to our purchasing policy demonstrates our values of transparency and good stewardship.
We use a decentralized purchasing system which means that each department is accountable for preparing their own bids and making purchases that follow city policies. The Finance Department monitors purchasing activity to ensure that expenses are being controlled responsibly.
If you’re interested in doing business with us, you should contact the department(s) directly to make sure that you’re on their radar.
General Bid Requirements
Based on the price point, city staff must do the following before making a purchase:
- $0 – $500: No bids are required, but all purchases will be reviewed and audited by management staff to ensure the practice of prudence and good judgment.
- $501 – $3,000: Verbal bids required (at least 3 suppliers on bid list whenever possible). Purchase authorized by the Department Head. Documentation approved by the Finance Director.
- $3,001 – $5,000: Bids in writing (at least 3 suppliers on bid list whenever possible). Approved by the Finance Director or City Manager.
- $5,001 – $10,000: Bids in writing (at least 3 suppliers on bid list whenever possible). Approved by the City Manager.
- $10,001+: Bids in writing (at least 3 suppliers on bid list whenever possible). Approved by the City Commission.
Departments are always accountable for living within their means (budget), regardless of the dollar amount of the individual purchase. The City Commission annually adopts an operations budget and approves a capital improvements and equipment replacement plan.
For more information on general procedures for sealed bids, criteria for awarding bids, and buy local provisions contact the Finance Department at 913-367-5500.