In addition to being a play space year-round, LKM Park proudly serves as the site of the Atchison’s famous Juneteenth Celebration.
Atchison’s Juneteenth is the largest FREE Juneteenth celebration in the country, open and welcoming to anyone who embraces the beauty of our diversity and the power of unity across lines of culture, race, and creed.
LFM Park takes its name from the Locomotive Finished Materials Company (now Bradken), an early and prominent Atchison business that originally created the park for its employees to enjoy.
Now a community park, LFM continues to offer green space to relax and play.
Book the LFM Park Shelter House for your special occasion! This 24’x40′ shelter features approximately 7 picnic tables, a charcoal grill, and access to electric and water. It is located near a playground.
Shelters are available without a reservation on a first-come, first-served basis, but place a reservation to ensure availability. Complete a reservation request and return it with payment to City Hall.
- Seasonal restrooms
- Horseshoe pits
- Basketball courts
- Picnic shelters
- Baseball field
Tips to a Good Experience
- Blocking or taping off shelters isn’t permitted, or necessary with a reservation.
- If the shelter is occupied when you arrive, politely inform them you have reserved the shelter and offer to show them your authorized reservation form. Patrons who do not have reservations are expected the vacate the shelter when a booked reservation arrives.
- Enjoy the park freely, but understand that your reservation entitles you to exclusive use of the shelter only, not other park amenities.
- Sorry, no glass containers or alcoholic beverages stronger than 3.2%.
- Don’t drive on the grass.
- You are responsible for general clean-up before you leave. Fires should be contained within the grill or fire pit and should be completely extinguished before you leave.
- If non-emergency problems occur, contact the Police Department at 913-367-4323 or 9-1-1 for emergencies.
- By making the reservation, you are responsible for damage/destruction to public property; the city bears no liability for your event. Sorry, no refunds on cancellations made within 30 days of the reservation date.