Community Spread of COVID-19 Leads to Operational Changes at the City of Atchison

 In Featured News, General News, News

Due to the continued rise in COVID-19 cases in Atchison County, City Offices will be available to customers by appointment only beginning Monday, November 9, 2020. The City is asking that all customers complete as much business as possible online, by phone, or by using the City’s drop box at the front entrance of City Hall. There is also a payment drop box by the post office, but we discourage you from depositing any cash in that drop box. Please use the drop box at City Hall for cash payments. If you need to meet in person with a city staff member, please call (913) 367-5500 to schedule an appointment.

Most City Hall employees will be working remotely beginning next Monday and continuing until further notice. Much of the business you need to conduct with the City can be done at the City’s website, There are quick links on the main page to pay your utility bill, request a special trash pickup, apply for a position with the City, make a utility service request, and report a code violation or other problem. We’re also happy to address your needs via phone call.

The City will be conducting all public meetings via Zoom, and there will be an opportunity for citizens to interact during public forum on this platform. If you would like to receive notification of agendas and Zoom invitations for any city meeting – City Commission, Planning Commission, EDAG, Park Board, etc., please contact

Municipal Court will continue to be held in person, however, it will be conducted in the Police Department garage in order to ensure adequate social distancing. Attendees at municipal court are required to wear a mask.

Although our emergency and essential services, including Police, Fire, Utilities and Public Works operations, will continue as usual, we will be limiting public interaction in these facilities. Members of the public will not be permitted in the Public Works Shop, Water Treatment Plant, or Wastewater Treatment Plant. Members of the public are asked to avoid the Police and Fire Departments, in order to protect the health and safety of our first responders.

Click on the link below for a complete listing of contact information for the City of Atchison:

We understand that this pandemic has been incredibly trying for our entire community, but we ask that you remain diligent about your hand washing, social distancing, and mask wearing to prevent further spread of the virus as much as possible. We very much appreciate your patience during this difficult time, and we believe that together, we can keep our community healthy and safe.

Here is a list of contacts:

Administrative Services Director

For questions about publication and press, community development, and administrative services, please call 913-367-5500 ext. 128 or email


For questions about the Chamber of Commerce and local events, please call 913-367-2427 or email

City Clerk

For questions about Boards & Commissions meetings, license renewals, open record requests, or website maintenance, please call 913-367-5506 or email

City Manager

Please email or call 913-367-5500, ext. 133.

Code Enforcement

For questions about weed, nuisance or housing complaints, please email or call 913-367-5500, ext. 131.


For questions about Municipal Court or fines, please call 913-367-5525 or email

Customer Service Requests

Please call 913-367-5500, ext. 141 or email

Economic Development

For questions about economic development projects or timelines, please call 913-367-5500, ext. 133 or email

E-Community & Façade Loans

For payment inquiries, please call 913-367-5500, ext. 141 or email


For questions about utility payments, permits, or events, please call 913-367-5500 or email You may also drop off utility bill payments from 8am – 5pm at the drop box located in the south corridor of City Hall.


For non-emergency questions, please call 913-367-4329 or email

Human Resources

For employment inquiries, records, or complaints, please call 913-367-5500, ext. 153 or email

Planning & Zoning

For questions about building permits, licensing, or planning and zoning, please email or call 913-367-5500, ext. 132.


For non-emergencies, please call 913-367-5500, ext. 135 or email

Public Works

For concerns about streets, parks & recreation, or trash, please call 913-367-5561 or email


For water or wastewater concerns, please call 913-367-5561 or email

Service Requests

If residents would like to submit a service request please visit and find the ‘Utility Service Request’ button on the main page.