The Community Development Department makes sure Atchison neighborhoods stay beautiful by:
- Inspecting properties for exterior code violations.
- Requiring corrections to enhance property values and quality living.
Here are some helpful tips so you can help keep Atchison looking good!
- Grass and weeds may not exceed ten inches in height.
- Property owners must maintain adjacent rights-of-way and easement areas within property lines.
- Help keep loose trash and debris picked up from your yard and neighboring streets and alleyways.
- Spare materials, tires, auto parts, furniture, trash, etc. may not be stored on the exterior of the property.
- To schedule a bulk pick-up, call 913-367-5561 at least one day prior to the pick-up date.
- Inoperable vehicles may not be stored outside.
- Vehicles must be street-operable and properly registered. Tarps may not cover any vehicle.
- Severely damaged, dead or diseased trees must be removed.
- All building structures must be completed and maintained in good condition, including roofs, exterior surfaces, gutters, doors and windows.
Code Resolution Process
Once a codes concern is received by the City, the following process begins:
- A code enforcement officer will inspect the reported location to verify the violation.
- A code enforcement officer will notify the appropriate party of the violation and provide a specific time frame to comply with City and State regulations.
- The compliance time frame is determined by City and State ordinances.
- The compliance time frame may be extended upon request.
- Additional action such as abatement or a “notice to appear” in Municipal Court may be taken if the appropriate party does not comply within the designated time frame.
Contact us today at 913-367-5560 to report suspected code violations, or report the violation here.