Working for the City
The City of Atchison is a professional municipal organization committed to transparency, communications, and excellence in the delivery of public services.
Guided by a five-member volunteer City Commission elected at-large and a City Manager charged with overseeing the daily operations of the organization, we work on behalf of the residents, business owners, and organizations of Atchison. The people that we serve are the same folks we see at the grocery store and sit next to at the ball game.
We employ approximately 107 full-time employees and a varying number of seasonal employees. We offer a competitive benefits package for full-time positions, including health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement planning, sick leave, paid vacation leave, and 11 annual holidays.
Online applications allow City staff the ability to track applicants, provide timely notifications to prospects, and ensure its Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) requirements. Job-seekers can submit information and materials from the comfort of their own home or through public access computers at their local library.
The City of Atchison is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the City to provide all employees and job applicants an equal opportunity without discrimination based on age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other condition or status protected by state and federal laws.
For individuals with disabilities, application materials are available in alternative formats upon request to the Director of Human Resource. The Kansas Relay number may be used for those with hearing impairments at 1-800-766-3777.
By submitting your application for a position with this organization, you understand and agree to the following statements:
- You represent that the contents of the application are true and correct and that no pertinent information has been omitted.
- You authorize investigation of any or all statements on the application, and you hold harmless any former employer, acquaintance, or reference for any information provided to the City of Atchison. Falsification, misrepresentation or omission of information could be just cause for dismissal at any time.
- You understand that you may be required to take relevant employment testing for the purpose of determining your capability of performing the duties of the position.
- The City of Atchison is committed to a drug-free workplace and requires pre-employment drug screening for most positions. If you are selected for employment you agree to participate in the appropriate job related physical, psychological, and physical abilities examinations. These examinations are paid for by the City of Atchison. Transportation and time involved taking the examinations are the responsibility of the applicant.
- Employment with the City of Atchison is considered “at-will” and nothing contained within the City’s applications, advertisement process, or the personnel policies and guidelines constitute an employment contract. The City of Atchison reserves the right to hire the applicant the City feels is best suited for the position.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) is federal and state law and City policy that precludes discrimination in employment. It prohibits harassment or discrimination due to a person’s ancestry, age, breastfeeding, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, marital status, medical condition, military and veteran’s status, national origin, political affiliation, pregnancy, race, religious creed, sex or sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local laws, regulations, or ordinances.